People from today, that are taking long strolls in Herastrau, should know that the park was effectively built by the “Circle of sports Baneasa – Country Club”, the present Bucharest Diplomatic Club. On the members’ expense 22.000 trees have been planted, 6 km of alleys have been built, grass and flowers have been planted, the lake has been cleaned, the shores have been consolidated.
And all of this without the Association having been legally constituted. It was functioning through the good understanding of its members, it had governing bodies, a budget, accountancy and a general gathering, but it wasn’t registered in court, so it wasn’t legalized.
Even the opposition press of the epoch noticed that based on the number of “thin cheeks” that entered the Association, it was hard to imagine that “serious disapprovals” could come to this “Example of public devotion”. Here are just a couple of the “thin cheeks” founding members: Max Ausschmidt, C. Argetoianu, general Anderson, Basarab Brancoveanu, Principe Jean Calimache, D. Chrissoveloni, Principe Catacuzin, Barbu Catargiu, Principe A.D. Ghica, G. Negroponte, E. Ottulescu, M. Prager, Principe Barbu Stirbey, Baron Starcea and many others.
The Association had so much prestige, that the Capital Townhouse approves through the Autorization nr.14 from the 25th of May 1925, the building of a “pavilion for sports necessities”. This is the actual Club house and restaurant, restored after the earthquake in 1977. In 1977, the sports base of the Club has improved with new tennis fields and a pool.